Wednesday, August 15, 2007

The One and the Only

As I compiled my (highly entertaining) video list from yesterday, I discovered this particular video that got me purely from Curiosity.



Poor girl. The level of difference is almost excruciating.

I know it was fashionable to hate on Michael Jackson, and in fact, hate on Britney Spears, but I could never understand why. Michael produced some really excellent music and he was one of the greatest performers of our time (One only has to watch the above video and be reminded how the same man so derided in recent media was once the greatest star the world had ever known).

On the same note Britney was popular, but it was also cool to bash her cause of her looks/inability to sing/crazy antics/marriage/whatever. It became conversation pieces, a way to break the ice. 'Hey how about that head shaving thing.' 'Oh I know, she's lost it.'

Everyone does crazy shit. You do crazy shit. I do crazy shit. The only difference is when famous people do it it gets put into this prism of magnification and overanalysis and drawn conclusions. I cannot imagine how it must be to have your every oversight and flaw blown up to the nth degree and discussed continuously afterwards, when in fact their only crime was to be human.

Behind the plastic surgery, the crazy costumes, what was his crime? He entertained millions. He brought music into so many souls. I think one should be allowed to be flawed, no matter how famous.

You might have gotten the impression from the above that I'm saying Britney can't sing. This isn't true. She can sing, but the above video is like putting Stephen Hawking in a dance-off with Billy Elliot. It's simply not fair.

I do give her credit in the fact that she knows how to give a good performance. And so what if she sings a lot of manufactured pop crap? My feelings on the matter is that talent is being wasted, and that's a shame, but that's no reason to say she sucks and doesn't deserve any of what she's getting.

Imagine if it were you.

No comments: