Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Cheaters!

Grats to Janvier for winning the previous challenge! Pick a prize, any prize =D

ANSWERS:
1. Don't you wanna go for a ride? Just keep yours hand inside and make the most out of life

I'm not really surprised no one got this. This is Rob Thomas' This is How a Heart Breaks, and given he was never popular without Matchbox 20 to back him up, I bestow forgiveness upon you all.

2. This is a call to the colorblind, this is an IOU

Everyone has heard of John Mayer, but as this was not his big hit single, Bigger than my Body's first line is forgivable to not know.

3. I've heard there was a secret chord that David played and it pleased the Lord

NO ONE KNEW THIS ONE!??!? I was tempted to SKIP it because I thought it would be so FREAKING OBVIOUS. /headdesk. It's Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah, covered by Rufus Wainwright, or Imogen Heap, or Jeff Buckley or whoever else covered it. There've been tons. It's the 'sad song' they usually play in movies or TV, most famously in Shrek 1 when Shrek moves back to his swamp leaving Fiona alone. Remember it now? I bloody well hope so, it's an excellent song. (I just read here it was used on the OC. Jeebus christ.)

I just want to add that the lyrics are absolutely fucking brilliant.

4. There's every good reason for letting you go

Third Eye Blind's Never Let You Go. Everyone knows the line, no one knows the song, that's okay, it's really old.

5. I walked across an empty land, I knew the pathway like the back of my hand

Keane's Somewhere only We Know.

6. London Calling.

No shits, sherlock! The title is from the WW2 broadcasts that they used to send out to the rest of the world: This is London Calling...

6. Well she's sleeping on the sofa, she's laying in her sunday best

Augustana's Sunday Best. Somewhat more obscure, but they're being played on local radio now (You might recognize their song Boston)

7. With you it's never good enough because you want the stuff that could change your future

This is lostprophet's To Hell We Ride, familiar to anyone who's ever played the original Need for Speed Most Wanted, the game that inspired my love of the Mazda MX5 as a sick racing machine.

8. I was wandering in the rain, mask of life feeling insane

Michael Jackson's Stranger In Moscow. Not his most famous hit, but I believe it was his best. Moody dark, pensive and claustrophobic with his classic awesome vocal ability, absolutely my favorite Jackson song right up there with Scream and Smooth Criminal.

9. I like to dream yes, yes, right between my sound machine

Steppenwolf's Magic Carpet Ride. Huuuuge hit in the 70s, this was one of the Vietnam War songs. It features heavily in most movies from the period, including, of course, Forrest Gump. I knew it as the theme song from EA Sport's Triple Play baseball game for the playstation. Yes, I have a playstation. Try not to faint.

10. I hear the clock, it's six am... I feel so far from where I've been

Jewel's You Were Meant For Me was her biggest hit, for good reason. She's one of the few songwriters alive who can write in the vein of Dylan and still pull good tunes, and I absolutely love that I got a Jewel song to put on my list. It doesn't hurt that vocally she's one of the best ever.

11. There must be some kind of way out of here, said the joker to the thief

All Along the Watchtower by Bob Dylan is one of the most covered songs in history, most famously by Jimi Hendrix. I'm a little surprised no one got this one. An interesting factoid about the song is that the lyrics are written in reverse. The first line (
There must be some kind of way out of here, said the joker to the thief) is meant to be the last line in the story. The full lyrics are here.

12. Where are we? What the hell is going on? Dust has only just begun to form crop circles in the carpet

No one knows Imogen Heap, and it's sad, because with her vocal capabilities and preexisting fame she should really get more attention. Hide And Seek was the best song on her Speak For Yourself Album, and I can tell you for a fact that you like her music, because she was the vocal half of Frou Frou. Who doesn't like Frou Frou? One of the best female vocalists.

13. I remember when, I remember I remember when I lost my mind

Gnarls Barkley's Crazy is a strong single (although yes, can be annoying if severely overplayed) from an album which is just as amazing in terms of the strength of each individual song. One thing this musical duo has going for them is the power of CoCo Lee's vocals. And it's a fantastic video too!

14. I'm broke but I'm happy, I'm poor but I'm kind

Alanis. Hand in My Pocket. Nuff said.

15. Oh my god. Becky.

No video for this one. Sorry, this isn't that kind of blog.
p.s. Oh fine, here.

16. I don't expect my love affairs to last for long, never fool myself that my dreams will come true

Originally Sarah Brightman, then done by Madonna for the film, Andrew Lloyd Weber's Another Suitcase in Another Hall is my personal favorite from him, tied with You Must Love Me also from Evita, and the absolutely electrifying theme from Cats. (No, not Memory)

17. Oh the shark has pretty teeth dear, and he shows them pearly white

Mack The Knife. Originally from german, the song has been covered a bazillion times. The version I have is Blake Lewis' cover from American Idol, and he does it so well.

18. They told him don't you ever come around here, don't wanna see your face you better disappear

Beat It, Michael Jackson.

19. I am driving black on black, just got my license back I've got this feeling in my veins this train is coming off the track

No one got this, and it's fine. Nickelback's Animals is a song about a guy whose girlfriend likes to have sex in the car (You control how fast we go by just how hard you wanna squeeze/It's hard to steer when you're breathing in my ear) and it's a brilliant song about youth and life and honestly it's a hell of a lot of fun to listen to.

20. You and I in a little toy shop, buy a bag of balloons with the money we've got

No one knows 99 Red Balloons by Nena? SHAME. SHAME SHAME SHAME. A song about Communism and fear in the United States by a German woman? How could it not be awesome? The balloons they buy and set free in the sky in the first line set off a panic alarm in the US Army as they rush to stem the Red Invasion. The line 'Everyone's a superhero, everyone's a Captain Kirk' tells you all you need to know about the period.

21. I can't stand to fly, I'm not that naive

Five For Fighting writes really really amazing songs. I just downloaded his most recent album and the lead single The Riddle gives me chills. This line is from his first big hit, Superman, and a powerful introspective look at the Caped Crusader's inner life.

22. Hearts are worn in these dark ages, you're not alone in this story's pages

Sarah McLachlan's World on Fire is a song you're not likely to know the first line to. Add to that her voice is husky enough to mask most of the stuff she's saying anyway... But it's still a great song, with a really great concept for a music video that you should definitely click the link for.

23. When there's a shadow you reach for the sun, when there is love then you look for the one

Who doesn't love Enya? Only If is my favorite song from her. I've always loved her upbeat stuff.

24. Someday out of the blue in a crowded street or a deserted square

Elton John sings great love songs. No one saw the Road to El Dorado; everyone saw The Lion King. Such a shame, because El Dorado was great, with great songs, great jokes, and great characters. (Kenneth Brannagh, Kevin Kline, HELLO?!) Someday Out Of The Blue is equal or better to Can You Feel The Love Tonight, and even though the name of the bloody song is in the first line...

25. When I was young I knew everything, she a punk who rarely ever took advice

The Freshmen is a song about youth and love and happiness, and the pursuit thereof, and everyone who was once young should listen to it.

There. An hour or more of awesome music. Proof that my blog is the best place for condensed awesomeness. Tell your friends.

5 comments:

Naoko said...

To Hell We Ride. Fantastic song that one.

-C said...

omg haev mai baybies.

savante said...

Condensed Awesomeness :) That should be your new blog title!

Unknown said...

OMFG. I can't believe I didn't notice the Rob Thomas lyrics. Of course, that's not one of my favorite songs from the album. :/

-C said...

Aw Paul.. that's just sweet.

I really like my current title tho. The other one comes off as just a little snobby. :P